Lacuna Passage - the first-person, open world Mars exploration and survival game - launches for PC and Mac on Steam Early Access today. Check out the new Early Access launch trailer here: youtu.be/XbMXvPBOpFU
Having smashed its Kickstarter and Greenlight campaigns with a superbly realized Martian setting, Lacuna Passage invites players to set foot on the Red Planet and experience what it will be like for those first adventurers. The game will release in two phases:
1. Survival Sandbox - Steam Early Access - Out Now
2. Story Mode - Full Steam Launch - In Development
Launching on Steam Early Access today, the Survival Sandbox mode of Lacuna Passage will challenge players’ technical smarts and problem-solving skills, as well as enabling early astronauts to test drive the core mechanics ahead of the arrival of Story Mode.
“I was hugely inspired by the 2012 landing of the Curiosity rover on Mars,” said Tyler Owen, founder and lead developer at Random Seed Games. “As I waited for the first images to beam back to Earth I realized that the closest I would ever get to walking the surface of the Red Planet and taking my own photos would be if I made a game where you could do just that. With Lacuna Passage we’re focused on creating a science-fiction interactive experience that will inspire others to get interested in space travel and science.”
What is Lacuna Passage?
Developed in Iowa, USA by Random Seed Games, Lacuna Passage is a Mars exploration and survival game based on real mission technology and Mars terrain from NASA satellite data. Here are some of the key features:
● Stunning first-person, open world of Martian exploration and survival.
● 25 square miles of explorable terrain generated from actual Mars satellite data.
● Survival mechanics based on real metrics like blood glucose, heart rate, caloric intake, and more.
● In-game photography that allows you to capture any moment and document your discoveries with higher quality than your PC or Mac can handle in real time.
● An immersive HUD that is accurate to potential future space exploration physical display technologies.
● A hauntingly beautiful dynamic soundtrack that responds to your actions.
● Survival Sandbox available now on Steam Early Access.
● A mysterious single-player story that encourages non-linear play (Story Mode) coming in a future update.
Survival Sandbox - Steam Early Access - Out Now
Waking in a landing pod, players must check their equipment and venture out onto the red Martian soil in search of a nearby habitat. With 25 square miles of the Red Planet to explore and survive, they must gather resources from randomized points-of- interest, supply caches and other habitats in order to continue their mission. Survival is more than just tracking status bars; maintaining life-support equipment is just as important as maintaining health. Players must carefully manage vital resources or they will find themselves stranded in the great red wasteland with no food, water, or oxygen. Chief among the available tools is the stunning photography feature, which allows the budding Martian adventurer to capture higher quality photos than their PC can handle in real time.
Story Mode - In Development
Jessica Rainer - the only survivor of the second manned mission to Mars - investigates the disappearance of the first. With several tools at her disposal, most importantly her skills of observation, Jessica needs to uncover mission logs, recorded audio files, and other physical clues left behind at critical mission locations in order to uncover the story. An interplanetary trail of breadcrumbs awaits. With 25 square miles of open terrain around the crash site to explore Jessica can’t explore blindly to find the missing crew of the Hermes. Will she simply try to survive and await rescue or will she put her own life on the line to discover the truth? In Lacuna Passage, time and the elements are your enemies...
Assets and info
● Steam Early Access page: store.steampowered.com/app/252090
● Early Access launch trailer: youtu.be/XbMXvPBOpFU
● Additional game info and press asset pack: lacunapassage.com/press
● Follow Lacuna Passage’s development on the devblog
● Check overall progress on the roadmap
Lacuna Passage is now available to purchase ($14.99, €14.99, £10.99) and download for PC and Mac in all countries on Steam Early Access.